Have you tasted Onigiri before? These flavorful little treats are the perfect Japanese snack. Delicious, healthy and filling, they are triangular shaped for convenience, making them ideal for picnics and outings or a quick meal while on the go.
Often referred to as the Japanese comfort food, the onigiri is immensely popular with people of all ages. They are also known as omusubi or nigirimeshi – or in English, Japanese rice balls. In Japan, you can find them almost anywhere, in convenience stores and coffee shops; there are even restaurants and cafes selling only onigiri!
Onigiri is made of plain white rice that’s lightly salted and wrapped with seaweed. Unlike sushi, onigiri doesn’t require the use of sushi rice or rice that’s been soaked in vinegar. They come in a variety of flavors; plain, tuna mayo, pickled plum, grilled salmon flakes, chicken and beef, and so much more.
Warm, cold, or at room temperature, the onigiri keeps well and will taste good throughout the day. So today, let’s see how we can all make this simple yet delicious Japanese snack at home using premium ingredients from Puri Pangan Utama, the best food company and online grocery supplier in Bali!
What you’ll need:
- Premium quality Japanese Rice
- Triangle nori seaweed
- Frozen tuna or smoked tuna for the surprising flavor ( the filling)
- Wash and cook your rice. Remember to use 1 cup of water for every 1 cup of rice. You can use an automatic rice cooker or cook it in a stainless steel pot over a low fire. If you choose to use a pot, make sure to keep an eye on your rice and remove the pot from the stove when all the water has been absorbed.
- Transfer the rice to a large plate or baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Fluff the rice with a rice paddle. Let the hot rice cool until it’s warm (but not cool) and you can hold the rice without burning your hands.
- While the rice is cooking, you can prepare the filling for your onigiri. You can use canned tuna or fresh tuna cooked to your liking. Place the tuna in a bowl and add Japanese mayonnaise and soy sauce. Mix to combine.
- Cut your nori sheets. Try to make them the same size that you would your onigiri.
- Wet both of your hands with water to prevent the rice from sticking to your hands and rub salt all over your palms.
- Scoop a handful of warm rice into one hand. Out 1 tablespoon of filling in the center. Then mold the rice with your hands around the filling and cover it completely.
- Gently press the rice around the filling to form a triangle. Be firm enough so the onigiri doesn’t fall apart but don’t squeeze the rice too tightly.
- Wrap the onigiri with a piece of nori seaweed.
Serve and enjoy!
Ready to make your very own, delicious homemade onigiri? With our simple recipe and premium quality ingredients, you won’t ever go wrong. Impress yourself and your loved ones at any time by making your very own authentic, flavorsome and healthy onigiri using premium, quality ingredients from Puri Pangan.
Click here now to start shopping with Puri Pangan for all your cooking needs!