Have you ever had the pleasure of enjoying a delicious bowl of Japanese soba noodles?
Soba noodles are a classic Japanese favourite. In Japan, you can find them almost anywhere from small street stalls to fast food joints and even in pricey, speciality restaurants. The Japanese would enjoy them year-round although a special type of soba noodles, known as Toshikoshi Soba, are symbols of longevity and are eaten only on New Year’s Eve.
Soba is thin, healthy noodles made from buckwheat with a distinctly nutty flavour and dense texture. The noodles range in colour but are usually pale tan or brownish grey. While the main ingredients are buckwheat flour and water, a small amount of wheat flour would also be included in the mix to improve texture and prevent breakage. They can be served hot or cold, depending on the weather and the season.
As a cold dish, we can eat Soba noodles with soy-based dipping sauces called tsuyu. Hot Soba noodles are served in a bowl of hot, clear broth, made of the same based ingredients as the tsuyu dipping sauce. But we can also enjoy Soba noodles in a variety of ways. In addition to hot or cold servings, Soba noodles are also served with fried tofu, a serving of tempura and tempura batter, a raw egg, cream or yams, vegetables, and chicken or duck meat.
So now that you know all about the delicious Soba noodles, it’s time to make your own with buckwheat soba noodles from Puri Pangan Utama, the best grocery supplier online Bali. Here’s a simple recipe for Sesame Soba Noodles that you can try making at home.
Soba Noodles Ingredients:
280 grams buckwheat soba noodles from Puri Pangan Utama
Ingredients for the sauce:
1/3 cups soy sauce
3 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
¼ tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups green onions, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 cup green onions, minced
3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon oil
- Rinse your soba noodles with cold water before placing in a pot to boil
- Cook your noodles for 4-5 minutes – remember to stir occasionally
- To make the sauce:
- Whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, sugar, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the cooking oil and heat, then add the chopped green onions. Cook for 15 to 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the soy and sesame mixture and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the noodles and toss until the noodles are heated through.
- Add the remaining minced green onion and half of the sesame seeds.
- Garnish with the remaining seeds and serve warm or at room temperature.
Ready to make your very own, delicious and authentic Soba noodles? With our simple recipe and premium quality ingredients from Puri Pangan Utama, food distributor Bali, you won’t ever go wrong. Impress yourself and your loved ones at any time by making your very own fresh and irresistible Sesame Soba Noodles with Sempio Buckwheat Soba Noodles from Puri Pangan.