In our previous blog post, we discussed the importance of food sustainability. Food sustainability will benefit your hotel or restaurant long term as you continue to meet customers’ demands, support local communities, reduce operating costs and build relationships while reducing health and environmental risks.
Puri Pangan would like to continue the discussion and give you some tips on the best methods of sourcing sustainable foods.
Food Carbon Calculation
While some restaurants or hotels opt for a simpler approach when it comes to food carbon calculation – by stating the food and beverage’s mile radius, others would go for a more in-depth approach by providing complete carbon footprints for all the foods that they have on their menus.
This is a great step in order for them to take one step further to their current plans to roll out internationally recognised standards that measure the entire life cycle of a product; from the time it is grown, harvested, processed, transported, packaged and finally disposed of.
A free tool is also being developed that gives food suppliers or farmers an idea of how carbon footprint relates to their livestock and produce. The goal of this new tool is to eliminate and mitigate the emission of greenhouse gases from the activities that they engage in.
Growing Your Own Produce
One of the more dramatic ways that a restaurant or hotel can reduce its carbon footprint is by cutting down or completely eliminating the need for transportation. This can be achieved by growing their own herbs, veggies, and fruits in the surrounding gardens.
Various hotels and restaurants around the world have successfully embraced and implemented this model by producing their own herbs and vegetables in their own grounds. Coffee houses are also embracing the idea of growing their own organic coffee, with many offering guests a chance to plant, pick, process, roast and taste.
In the event that your establishment does not have the necessary space to grow a garden, innovation comes in handy. A rooftop garden is a brilliant idea and can even include a beehive. Soil-free systems are providing amazing breakthroughs in such cases while allowing for the planting of various products throughout the year. Even though you can’t grow everything that you may need, select and consider organic greens that are a priority for your organization and grow those.
Whether you own a restaurant or a hotel, you will benefit from the following tips:
- As a food supplier in Bali, Puri Pangan has the knowledge and services to help restaurants and hotels achieve sourcing and dealing with sustainable foods. Contact us for more information regarding our sustainable products.
- Work out how much you are spending on food and beverages, including country of origin and where your dollars are being spent, especially if you are importing. Take note of how much you are spending on local producers.
- Research available sustainable food producers in your area. You may want to identify groups that will put you in touch with local food suppliers or providers, locally or regionally. Prioritise food suppliers in Bali before expanding your search.
- Look for free-range, organic eggs and chickens that have been accredited by a particular authority body in your country.
- When it comes to dried nuts and fruits, chocolate, sugar, coffee and tea, look for those that have received the Fairtrade certification.
- Any species that are under threat, whether it is of plants or animals, should simply not be purchased. All your seafood and fish should bear a sustainability certification.
Foods that have been air-freighted should be avoided. Instead, opt for seasonal foods.
You can consider Puri Pangan Utama as the number one go-to food supplier in Bali for your business. As a reputable food supplier in Bali, we promise only the best quality and sustainable meats and produce. In addition to being extremely selective on the products that we provide, we also implement and execute the most outstanding methods in processing and storing our meat products. We work on these methods in order to provide our customers with only the finest quality meats.
We welcome discussions on long-term contracts or mutually beneficial relationships. Contact us today for further information.