Love pancakes? Then we’ve got the perfect sweet treat for you. Dorayaki is a Japanese snack that very much resembles the American-style pancake in both presentation and texture. Taste-wise, it’s just as good, if not better!
This beloved traditional cake goes back all the way to 12th century Japan. Legend has it that a famed Samurai invented the Dorayaki by baking the dough on a round metal gong and then wrapping it around some sweet bean paste, which is also known as ‘anko’. The paste is dark red in colour, which represents life to the Japanese, and is also high in nutrition including protein, vitamins and fiber.
The Dorayaki of today is two fluffy and delicious pancakes with anko sandwiched in between. It’s a healthy confection, traditionally made only with flour, egg and sugar. Honey is added into the batter to add moisture to the texture and to prevent it from turning hard after it cools. You can also add glutinous rice to the mix to ensure that the dough remains springy.
Depending on your preference, you can mix and match by replacing anko with a favourite filling whether chocolate, strawberry, matcha or cheese. The Dorayaki is also really easy to make as minimal ingredients are required which are all available here at Puri Pangan Utama, and you can always opt to add butter or butter cream to your Dorayaki batter to enhance flavour and texture.
So now that you know all about the Dorayaki, let’s try making your very own Matcha Dorayaki! Here’s everything you need.
- 100g flour
- 50g water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- 2 eggs
- 80g sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 can of anko – red bean paste (250g)
- Sift the flour.
- Combine eggs, sugar, matcha powder and honey in a bowl and mix well.
- Dissolve baking soda in 1 teaspoon of water and add the mixture into the bowl.
- Add the rest of the water and the sifted flour and then mix the ingredients well to make sure that there are no lumps.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the frying pan or hot plate and then pour in the dough.
- When bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake, flip it over to cook the other side.
- Finish by putting anko between two Dorayaki pancakes.
Ready to make your very own, delicious and fluffy Dorayaki? With our simple recipe and premium quality ingredients from Puri Pangan, you won’t ever go wrong. Impress yourself and your loved ones at any time by making your very own authentic and irresistible Dorayaki using the finest ingredients from Puri Pangan, the best grocery supplier online Bali.
Click Puri Pangan now to start shopping with the best food distributor in Bali for all your baking needs!