In a blink of an eye, it’s almost the end of the year with Christmas around the corner! It’s the merriest season with goodwill, joy and presents, and of course, delicious seasonal treats and scrumptious sweet delights that remind us that it is the most wonderful time of the year.
One of our favourite must-have treats for the holidays is a traditional Italian Biscotti, also known as Christmas Biscotti. Soft, sweet and fruity with a hint of spice, the Italian Biscotti often makes its appearance during the holidays and at weddings or other family gatherings.
In Italian, Biscotti generally means “baked twice” but sometimes, it could also just mean “Italian cookie”. Traditionally, they are made from flour, eggs, sugar, pine nuts, and whole almonds, but today you can find biscotti with a variety of ingredients and flavourings including spices, peels and dried fruits.
In keeping with the festivities and the holiday season, our Christmas Biscotti recipe today includes nuts, fruits, orange zest and some spices. You can even add in fruit peels, orange oil or walnuts and hazelnuts if you like. Feel free to experiment, because there is really no right or wrong when it comes to the perfect Christmas Biscotti.
Here are the Ingredients for Baking Italian Historical Cookie
- 350 grams flour
- 250 grams caster sugar
- 85 grams raisins
- 85 grams dried cherries
- 50 grams blanched almonds
- 50 grams shelled pistachio nuts
- 3 eggs beaten
- Coarsely grated orange zest – 1 orange
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- A generous grating nutmeg
A Step-by-step Guide to Baking Biscotti
- Heat oven to 180 C. Butter and line two baking trays with baking parchment.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, spice and sugar in a large bowl, and mix well. Then stir in the eggs and orange zest until the mixture starts to come together.
- Use your hand and knead until no floury patches remain in the bowl. Add the dried fruit and nuts and mix until mixed through the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into four. Sprinkle with a little flour and using your fingers, roll out into long sausages.
- Place two pieces of rolled-out dough on a baking tray making sure they are spaced well apart.
- Bake in the oven for twenty-five to thirty minutes until the dough has risen and feels firm to the touch.
- Remove the cooked dough from the oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack. Allow to cool.
- Turn the oven down the oven to 140 C.
- Cut your biscotti into slices about three-quarters of a centimeter, then lay the slices flat on the baking sheets.
- Return to the cooler oven and bake for fifteen minutes.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!
Christmas Biscotti can keep for up to 3 weeks when refrigerated. You can also opt to freeze them before the second bake, which means you can store them for up to 3 months!
Ready to make your very own, delicious homemade Italian Christmas Biscotti? With our simple recipe and premium quality ingredients, you won’t ever go wrong. Impress yourself and your loved ones at any time by making your very own scrumptious Christmas cookies or treats using premium, quality ingredients from Puri Pangan, Bali’s best grocery supplier online and best food company in Bali.
Click the Puri Pangan catalogs now to start shopping for all your baking needs!