Christmas is coming, it’s hard to believe that 2020 is almost at its end. And while this year has certainly been challenging, the arrival of Christmas brings with it the familiar smells of baked goods and Christmas cookies.
What better way to find simple joys and prepare our minds for the coming year, than to spend time with your family and make Christmas butter cookies?
How to make Christmas butter cookies?
Let’s first talk about the most crucial ingredient — the butter. For Christmas bakery with butter, your choice is unsalted butter that is appropriate for pastry as well as bread. At our shop, we have the Dairygold Unsalted Butter. Specifically, the Dairygold Unsalted Butter has an 82% milk fat proportion and 2% non-fat milk solids, putting this brand among those with the best butter compositions.
Apart from adding a distinct flavor, butter makes baked products more tender. This is because milk fat, like any other types of fat, inhibits the formation of long gluten strands that makes the product tough. Think of the French baguettes — these are made with little to no butter, and that allows gluten to toughen up the baked product. Butter makes these gluten strands shorter, which explains why butter falls under the ingredient category of a shortening.
Make your Christmas butter cookies distinctly tender, not too crispy. Here is exactly how to make them:
Ingredients (for 50 pcs of cookies)
- 115 grams of Dairygold Unsalted Butter
- 50 grams of granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 350 grams of all-purpose flour
(We highly recommend Bakerstar Biru)
- Baking powder
(We highly recommend Hercules Baking Powder)
- Colored sugar and frosting for decorating
- Beat butter and sugar using a mixer until light and creamy. Add in the egg and vanilla extract, and later add in the flour and baking powder until they are blended with the rest.
- Divide the resulting dough into equal pieces of 2-4. Wrap each piece inside a plastic wrap and let it become firm inside a refrigerator.
- After about 1 hour, flatten the dough with a rolling pin. Cut the dough into smaller pieces to make shape cutting easier to manage. Springle the cookie dough with color sugars and frosting.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes until brown. Serve fresh or store inside an air-tight jar for 2 weeks.
Enjoy your holiday and happy baking!
About Puri Pangan Utama
Puri Pangan Utama is a Bali bakery ingredient supplier. We have served Bali’s hotels and restaurants since 1985. This year we are celebrating 35 years of delivering quality and building partnerships for the ultimate goal of providing consumers with only the best products there are.