Easter is drawing near, and what an exciting time it will be for families with little children and all who celebrate.
An important Christian holiday celebrated worldwide, Easter is a great day to come together. After the traditional church service in the morning, there’s more yet to look forward to including Easter egg hunts, Easter chocolates, and who can forget the Easter bunny!
Easter is also the time for some delicious, freshly-baked hot cross buns. These tasty little treats are filled with fruits, spices and bitter orange peels and are best served warm and toasty.
More than just a delicious seasonal treat, hot cross buns are an Easter must as they are said to symbolize the day that Christ was crucified.
Each bun is decorated with a cross made from flour paste, and the spices in hot cross buns are said to represent the spices that were used to embalm Christ after his death.
Whether you celebrate Easter or not, hot cross buns are for everyone to enjoy. Warm, sweet, and sticky, traditional hot cross buns are amazing on their own but you can also try the more modern versions that come in a variety of flavours including chocolate, apple, cinnamon, and banana.
Hot Cross Buns Recipe
Whatever your preference, hot cross buns this Easter is an absolute must. Let’s try making your very own with ingredients from Puri Pangan, Bali’s best online grocery supplier.
- 118ml water
- 118ml whole milk
- 100gr sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 75gr unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 500gr all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 55gr currants
- 1 egg beaten, for brushing
Use the following to make the glaze:
- 240gr confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Steps for making the buns:
- Combine yeast and 118ml warm water in a large mixing bowl. Add warm milk and next 5 ingredients. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended
- Combine flour and cinnamon, and gradually add to yeast mixture, beating at medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in raisins
- Place dough in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down; cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Place the dough onto a well-floured surface, and roll to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a 2-inch round cutter.
- Place on a lightly greased pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake the dough for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
Steps for making the glaze:
- Stir together confectioners’ sugar, milk, lemon zest, and vanilla until smooth.
- Transfer icing to a zip bag or pastry bag, and make a small cut in the corner of the bag.
- Ice buns in a thick cross shape over the top of the warm buns.
Ready to make your very own, delicious hot cross buns? With our simple recipe and premium quality ingredients, you won’t ever go wrong. Impress yourself and your loved ones this Easter by making your very own scrumptious hot cross buns using premium, quality ingredients from Puri Pangan.
Contact Puri Pangan now to start shopping for all your baking needs!