Everything you need to know about Gherkins
Thanks to its unique physical appearance and ambiguous history, the Gherkin is one of the world’s most questioned vegetables.
As one of Bali’s oldest and most trusted food distributors, our extensive knowledge of our products will help you to select the ingredients you need for your home or business. Supplying only the best food and beverage brands, we introduce you German family owned company – Kühne.
Kühne’s company history runs deep, dating back almost 300 years ago. What started off as a simple vinegar distillery quickly grew into an internationally renowned company. Sold in over 50 countries worldwide, Kühne’s best line of production are their Gherkins. Packed in two ways: sliced and pickled.
What is a Gherkins?
A Gherkin is a part of the same gourd family ‘Cucurbitaceae’, they are often referred to as ‘miniature cucumber’. Now a pickled Gherkin means that the vegetable has undergone the process of pickling (using water, salt, and vinegar). At Kühne’s, the Gherkins are harvested by hand, processed fresh, and 100% from contract farming. The company is already in its third generation and has expanded to 1500 employees. You can definitely trust Kühne’s for quality, tasting their extra fine and crisp Gherkins.
Getting into the jars
- The origin of all cucumbers: sowing – The Gherkin’s seeds are planted in the rich soil in middle of April. Each Gherkin plant produces several miniature Gherkins. It takes around 50 days for a harvestable Gherkin to grow from the seed.
- The art of harvesting – The Gherkins are harvested during summer with the use of a cucumber harvester. Moving at a snail’s space, this ensures that no cucumber is missed. The rule is, only Gherkins larger than a size of a finger are harvested.
- Quality control – The Gherkins are then hand sorted according to its individual quality.
- Infused with the company secret – At Kühne, our infusion is mainly made up of water, vinegar, and salt. The blend of spices is top secret! Passed on from generation to generation.
- Pasteurization – The flavors and nutrients of each jar are preserved without additives and nasties through gentle heating.
Puri Pangan Utama is your dependable food distributor in Bali. Established in 1985, we are known island wide as pioneers in frozen food supplying. Order your produce from us to experience the freshest and best quality brands at affordable prices – for your restaurant business or to simply cook at home.