Have a birthday coming up? Show your loved one how much you care on their special day with a surprise, a gift, and a home-cooked meal. Take it a step further and bake them their very own homemade birthday cake! That will surely put a smile on a loved one’s face.
Contrary to popular beliefs, baking your own birthday cake isn’t as hard as you’d think. All you need are a few quality, premium ingredients from Bali’s best grocery supplier online and the best food company in Bali, Puri Pangan, perhaps a few practice rounds, and you’re all good to go.
Baking is also a fun and therapeutic way to spend your free time. Studies have shown that baking can relieve stress. It also allows you to express yourself creatively.
So let’s get started. Here is a simple recipe for a homemade DIY birthday cake!
This recipe is for a simple yet delicious, moist, and fluffy white vanilla cake. The vanilla cake batter is easy enough to make and it holds up beautifully under a layer of frosting or cream. Remember to carefully choose a premium brand of cake flour – this will make or break your cake. We’d recommend Kotobuki Cake Flour, the finest quality cake flour with a beautiful fine texture.
Here are the main ingredients that you need for a homemade birthday cake:
- Kotobuki Cake Flour – 443 grams
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Baking powder – 2 teaspoon
- Baking soda – ¾ teaspoon
- Australian unsalted butter – 345 grams
- Granulated sugar – 400 grams
- 3 whole eggs and 2 additional egg whites (to combine)
- Pure vanilla extract – 1 tablespoon
- Buttermilk – 360 ml
Ingredients for the frosting:
- Unsalted butter – 345 grams
- Confectioner’s sugar – 650 grams
- Pure vanilla extract – 1½ teaspoons
- Salt – 1/8 teaspoon
- Preheat your oven to 177°C, grease three cake pans, and line them with parchment paper. Don’t forget to also grease the parchment paper.
- Whisk the cake flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the 3 eggs, 2 egg whites, and vanilla extract on high speed until combined, about 2 minutes.
- Turn your mixer on to low speed, add in the dry ingredients and beat until combined, and then pour in the buttermilk.
- Make sure there are no lumps at the bottom of the bowl.
- Pour batter evenly into cake pans.
- Bake for around 23-26 minutes or until the cakes are baked through. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s done.
- Allow cakes to cool completely in the pans before frosting and assembling.
Make the frosting:
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add confectioners’ sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and salt with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 2 minutes.
- Add more confectioners’ sugar if frosting is too thin, more milk if frosting is too thick, or an extra pinch of salt if frosting is too sweet.
- Place the cake on a cake stand and cut a thin layer off the top of the cake. Spread frosting evenly on top of the cake, and top with a second cake layer.
- Repeat the process until all three cake layers and the sides of the cake are covered with frosting.
Bonus Tip: Refrigerate the cake for 1 hour before serving. This will help the cake to hold its shape when cutting.
Ready to make your very own, delicious homemade birthday cake? With our simple recipe and premium quality ingredients, you won’t ever go wrong. Impress yourself and your loved ones at any time by making your very own scrumptious birthday cake using premium, quality ingredients from Puri Pangan Utama.