When it comes to selecting the right food supplier for horeca or your foodservice business, you will need to look at a number of factors and not just how much money you will be saving. The factors you consider when making your choice are dependent on the priorities of your business and also the strategy you are using.
To begin with, you need to be strategic in your thinking where food supplier selection is concerned. The best food supplier will match your business’ needs or even exceed them. You therefore need to begin by looking at the needs of your business. If what you are looking to do is serve your clients faster, you need to get suppliers who deliver faster as well and do it at a price that is competitive.
Considerations in Selecting the Right Food Supplier for Your Business
- Reliability – If your supplier lets you down, then you, in turn, will let your clients down. Reliable food suppliers are often those with years of proven experience.
- Quality – Your supplier must have consistent quality since any poor-quality products delivered to your clients will be associated with your business.
- Excellent Value – Cheap is expensive. Get value for money by deciding how much you are willing to part with in order to strike the necessary balance between service, quality, reliability and cost.
- Clear Communication and Strong Service – You want a supplier who speaks to you regularly and lets you know when there will be a hitch in delivery. They should also endeavor to supply their products on time.
- Cash flow security – You want to work with a supplier whose cash flow is sufficient to enable him to deliver your goods in a timely fashion. You should always carry out a credit check before going into business with anyone.
- The approach – The relationship you have with your supplier should be one of partnership. Your business should be just as important to them as it is to you.
How to Identify Potential Suppliers
Finding suppliers can be through several different channels so that you can shortlist them.
- Recommendations – You can get these from business acquaintances and friends.
- Directories – This works well if you are looking for a local supplier.
- Trade Associations – If you are working in a particular niche or industry, start here.
- Business Advisors – You can use the chamber of commerce or the BBB to search for potential suppliers.
- Exhibitions – Go to suitable and relevant exhibitions to find exhibitors who can be potential suppliers.
- Trade Press – Look in trade magazines for advertisements of potential suppliers.
The next step will be to shortlist your food suppliers.
PT. Puri Pangan Utama is a reputable food supplier in Bali, Indonesia. Our extensive network with prestigious hotels, restaurants, catering, supermarkets, and various retail stores have driven significant growth for numerous brands in the industry. Check out our products here.
Baca versi Bahasa Indonesia dari blog ini di sini.